Notice: Due to COVID-19, we are available for either via video chat, phone, or email meetings. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

PETER RASLA & ASSOCIATES, P.L.C. Irvine Probate, Estate Planning & Bankruptcy Attorney

Irvine Inheritance Attorney

Helping Clients Gain Their Rightful Property

If a relative has recently passed, you may be entitled to a portion of their estate as your inheritance. Those who receive inheritances are often beneficiaries named in a will or trust, but legal heirs often inherit as well – especially if they aren’t named in the will or there was no will found. If you are someone who believes you are entitled to an inheritance, our attorney at Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C. can help.

Our firm has a robust probate practice that includes litigation for disputes that come up during this time. Few areas other than inheritance can generate so much legal conflict during this difficult time. Rest assured that no matter what your interests are in someone else’s estate, we can offer advocacy that may help you achieve your goals or the best possible outcome.

For more information about what our inheritance attorney in Irvine can do for you, reach out to us today to schedule a free initial consultation!

Get in touch with Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C. by calling (949) 390-9994 or by submitting an online contact form.

How Can an Attorney Help Me with an Inheritance?

There are a number of reasons why you may need legal representation to help you with a matter involving an inheritance. For starters, you may have received certain property during probate but need help with the legal process of transferring its ownership to your name. This can be the case for titled assets such as real estate and vehicles, but also liquid assets and securities.

You may also need an attorney to represent you during probate proceedings if you believe you were a legal heir who was inappropriately or mistakenly left out of a will. Being a legal heir is an important designation that we’ll explain down below, but it essentially means you are very likely entitled to inherit property except when you were expressly written out of the will. Fighting to claim your inheritance can mean contesting the deceased’s will if you believe you were left out by mistake or because of someone’s else’s improper interference.

Finally, you may need to seek a lawyer if you are on the receiving end of a dispute concerning an inheritance you were given by the deceased. If you were a friend or estranged relative of the deceased, other relatives may eye your inclusion in a will with misguided suspicion. Having someone like our inheritance attorney in Irvine represent you can mean protecting what you were meant to have.

Who Is Considered a Legal Heir in California?

Put simply, a legal heir is someone who is legally entitled to inherit a deceased person’s property when they are forgotten in a will or there is no will found when the deceased’s estate is probated. The latter case is known as intestate succession, which is the most common reason why legal heirs need to present themselves in court to inherit property.

While you may think you’re a legal heir because you’re related to someone, California law establishes a hierarchy for which relatives of the deceased can inherit their property through intestate succession. When necessary, Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C. and our inheritance attorney in Irvine can help you demonstrate your status as someone’s legal heir.

The legal heir hierarchy breaks down as follows:

  • Children: If someone has children (biological or adopted) but no spouse at the time of their death, all property in their estate is distributed equally among them.
  • Parents: If someone has no children or spouse, then their living parents receive their estate.
  • Siblings: If someone lacks children, a spouse, and living parents, then their siblings each receive an equal share of their estate.
  • Grandparents: If the deceased has no children, spouse, parents, or siblings, then any living grandparents will receive their property.
  • Other relatives: When none of the relatives listed above exist or are alive, then the deceased’s other relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces) may be considered for inheriting property.

When someone passes away with a living spouse, their entire half of the marriage’s community property is transferred to the living spouse. If someone is outlived by their spouse and other relatives (children, siblings, etc.) then intestate succession allows the spouse a portion of the deceased’s separate property while the remaining separate property is divided among the other relatives.

Do You Need Legal Support?

We at Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C. work hard for our clients, helping them achieve their legal goals during the probate process. We understand this is a difficult time to take on a legal challenge, but rest assured that our clients have our full support – especially in matters involving an inheritance during probate.

Scheduling a free initial consultation with Peter Rasla & Associates, P.L.C. today to learn more about how we can help. Submit anonline contact form now!

See What Sets Us Apart

  • Spanish, Czech and Slovak Services

  • Free Consultations